Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Perfume

Ohayō (Good Morning),

If you read the posting "Work Hard, Play Harder" you will be pleased that I have finally gotten around to doing a Music Review ( and eventually and Drama Review) for the Japanese girl group Perfume.


The music of Perfume is something that I  not seen in the U.S. market before. If I were to compare them to any previously successful girl group (state side) it would be Destiny's Child.

Perfume's sound is a mix of  traditional Japanese folk music, house and techno beatsfuturistic bacground and catchy pop lyrics. Here is a sample of the groups sound and style:
"Voice" by Perfume


Along with having a distintive sound the girls style is unquirely Perfume. The concepts for their videos are nothing I have seen in not only the U.S. but other countries such as South Korea (who's music I enjoy as well). Four words I'll use to their group style is corky,cute,colorful and cynchronized ( I know it's spelled with a S . . . but for this purpose please ignore)!

Another reason to add Perfume to playlist would be that they are acomplished concert masters (yes, coin this pharse)! They've had sold out concerts in venues such as the Tokyo Dome ( which is not an easy feat.) Check out this clip:

Thank You Speech

And just in case your not convinced that their the greatest girl group ever the real deal in Japan here is are sample clip of their performance (see the sweat drop?):

Edge(Mix) Performance by Perfume

I hoped you enjoyed this latest additon of The Nippon Student, till next time bye! 

2 comments:

  1. Wow, I don't think I've ever heard of Perfume before, but I kind of like them. I know you said they're different in a few ways from Korean groups, but is there a girl group from Korea that you might compare them to? Or not.

    -Collin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honestly, I can not think of any Korean girl group that I could compare them to in regards to music, but spotlight wise I would have to say SNDS(Girls Generation) or 2ne1.

    ReplyDelete