Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Indo-chan インドちゃん

As you read my blog you are probably wondering "who is this person?" and "why is she so obsessed with Japanese?", well I can sum that up in a couple of paragraphs.

I am India. I live on the East Coast of the United States, where I attend a four year University. I plan to graduate within the next year.  There is very little I can tell you about my life that would seem exciting or fun (I live in the library most of the time), but I'll try.

I have lived in the same area (Philadelphia, Pennsylvania) for the majority of my life. I moved to the state capital Harrisburg during my sophomore year of high school and continued there until I went to community college. I stayed there for a year before moving to suburban Philadelphia.

In the time that I went to community college in Harrisburg, I learned so much about myself than I would have if I would've attended another college (specifically a smaller one). During that time I was rooming in the city's International House. Two of my roommates were from Georgia (the country) while the other was from South Korea. In that time I realized just how closed off to other cultures I had been. See before then I had believed that I was culturally accepting of everyone, I realized this wasn't true once I was living within the International House.

Since this time I have gain a better understanding and less prejudices. 

With this new understanding, it allowed me to think in broader terms of what is globally and intercultural the same and different in the world. To me there seem to be little difference in how individuals deal and feel about life in general (yes, I know there are always expectations!).

As these new feelings I decided that my life would be filled with food and travel (a common dream)! So with this I decided to study a language in order to fulfill my dreams of adventure and stuffing my face culinary appreciation!   

The main reason I picked Japanese as an language to study was because in a way I was rebelling. My rebellion was against the traditional languages offered in high school and University settings such as Spanish, French or German ... they just all seems boring and over statured with people who did not plan to use the skills in any future setting, that was something I wanted to avoid.

So in all this is who Indo- chan is. End of Story.


No comments:

Post a Comment